Monday, August 09, 2010

The internet giveth and the internet taketh away

On Saturday my laptop was assailed by a virus that’s stopping me from opening any programs. It’s masquerading as ‘Antivir Solution Pro’, which is a big fat dirty fake, as suggested by the iffy grammar in its offer of help for the problem that it’s causing. I’ve got hold of some instructions on how to purge it from my system, but if that doesn’t work then I’ll be blogging very little if at all in the near future. So you may have to miss out on my potential series of intermittently coherent brilliantly insightful posts on what strategy Labour should adopt over the next couple of years.

On the flipside, the Times website seems to think that I’m a paying subscriber, despite me cancelling my direct debit at the end of the one-month trial, telling them I’d cancelled it and getting an acknowledgement from them that I’d cancelled it. Great business model, Rupert.

Blessed be the name of the internet.

9 comments:

Andrew said...

Am sure you've got it covered, but just in case - my two favourite spyware removers are MalwareBytes and Superantispyware. They're both excellent at nuking these things from a great height.

Network Cabling Service  said...

Mal-wares are making life difficult for PC users. By Popping some unwanted Virus alerts and offering Fake help, in the process telling us to install some programs which destroys our PC's.

Matt M said...

That's what you get for visiting dodgy government websites.

Tom Freeman said...

Ta Andrew - I'll bookmark those for next time, but unfortunately this one isn't letting me access the web at all so I'm stuck with what I can do offline.

Matt M said...

Off-topic, but you'll probably have a bit of time on your hands without a laptop... There's a run of Just a Minute currently on Radio 4 (first ep was last week, but second is on at 18:30 tonight).

I remember you complaining (last year, I think) about missing shows like this, so thought I might as well bring it to your attention. (Assuming you haven't noticed it already).

Tom Freeman said...

Absurdly good memory! Gold star. I'm more of a Clue man, but thanks for the tip!

Matt M said...

I'm more of a Clue man

Ah well, thought I'd mention it just in case.

And yes, I seem to have a freakishly good memory. But only for random information. Which is slightly annoying, if not useful at pub quizzes.

Tom Freeman said...

Ha! The virus has been defeated!

Mil said...

Rupert's probably going to carry on letting lots of people access the Times after they've cancelled their subscriptions. Gives him spurious numbers he'll probably need to justify the paywall and hit stats from objective sources even he couldn't fabricate.