Thursday, March 05, 2009

Fair and unbalanced: trying to be a respectable partisan

Hopi Sen moans about the media’s obsession with trivial personality stories in politics – prompted by the coverage of Mr Brown Goes to Washington.

Liam Murray technically agrees, but then takes issue:

Where he’s misguided and getting a little irritating is this faux naivety Hopi affects – “why are they doing this?” / “can’t they see how important these things are?” Of course they can Hopi but this is national politics…
None of us were blogging in the dog days of the Major administration but I don’t believe for a minute that a young Hopi would’ve been crying foul about all the ‘Tory split’ stories, demanding substance and disavowing any interest in the gossip surrounding Major.

I can’t answer for Hopi, but I can say that this sort of point – the imperative to be fair in one’s writing while also being a partisan – is worth keeping in mind. There can be a tension between a commentator on politics and (in however small a way) a public participant. My own answer is this:

You will not get a balanced overall coverage of politics from my blog. I’m likelier to cover stories that (I think) reflect well on Labour or badly on other parties than vice versa. I’m partial not just in what I think but also in what I choose to write about.

But – other than when I’m joking – I won’t say anything I don’t believe to be true. I won’t attack the Tories on a charge I think to be bogus (although I probably won’t defend them). I won’t defend Labour when I think they’ve screwed up (although I probably won’t attack them). I try to be fair in what I say, although not necessarily balanced in what I don’t say.

I don’t actually mention the majority of political stories. I tend to write when I think I have a point that’s getting little or no attention, or when I think I have a novel way of looking at something. Most of the time, I have nothing to add, so I don’t try.

And there are plenty of other people, in blogging or the older media, ready to play equivalent roles as supporters of other parties and opponents of mine. While my blogroll has a strong centre-left slant, you can find plenty of criticism of the government via those links.

Here’s an objection to my approach: ‘If you truly think Labour is worthy of support, warts and all, then why not be as open about the bad bits as the good? The overall case you make would still be pro-Labour. Otherwise you seem like a party hack.’

Reply: My views on ideology and policy come first; they motivate me to support Labour; that conditional support then motivates me to think about which of my views I want to air. If you’re a commentator with a partisan allegiance, I don’t think there’s any obligation to wash your own party’s dirty linen in public for the sake of even-handedness: just don’t go around pretending that it’s all spotless, and only call the other parties out when their own linen genuinely is dirty.

I’m somewhere between ‘impartial analyst’ and ‘slavish propagandist’, and I like to think I’m just about in the respectable part of that spectrum.

Specifically on trivia, personalities and media swarms:

There’s a difference between: (a) decrying a certain sort of coverage of one’s own party but gleefully propagating it when the other lot are on the ropes; and (b) decrying this coverage of one’s own party but generally ignoring it when it’s the other lot. (a) may be hypocrisy but (b) is just partiality, and there’s nothing inherently disreputable about that.

And yes, I have my moments of chucking froth at the other parties, be it on David Cameron’s dangerous cycling or Brian Paddick’s lack of impact in the mayoral race. I’m weak.

But I’m not beyond ridiculing and snarling at my own party too when the mood takes me. And as for personality-based gossip coverage of Brown’s trip to Washington, I do love this photo. Sorry, Hopi.

2 comments:

Liam Murray said...

Broadly agree but the bit that troubled me was:

"There’s a difference between: (a) decrying a certain sort of coverage of one’s own party but gleefully propagating it when the other lot are on the ropes; and (b) decrying this coverage of one’s own party but generally ignoring it when it’s the other lot. (a) may be hypocrisy but (b) is just partiality, and there’s nothing inherently disreputable about that."

(b) is definitely far preferable to (a) but I'm not sure there's any elegant defence for it - it's a corruption of the 'turn the other cheek' argument. I'm not drawing any parallels here obviously but think of that argument in support of really heinous behaviour - you hear it in fact with reference to 'ordinary Germans' who did nothing but acquiesce in Jewish persecution. You can make a distinction between those who propagate and those who turn away but both groups are morally well beneath those who try and counter it even when it's against their better interests.

I would never expect a Labour or Tory supporter to be quite as vociferous in denouncing the coverage that furthers their own cause but to ignore something you know isn't really on makes me feel uneasy....

Tom Freeman said...

Ah, two and a half years of blogging and I've finally had my first Nazi analogy! Although I know you don't mean it that way... But press the analogy a bit further and you get my answer:

I said that my partisanship, while making me less likely to criticise my party, does depend on my prior belief that supporting this party is the best way to support my more general political views.

In the 'ordinary Germans' case, the analogy would have to be someone who truly believed that the Nazis were the best thing going and that the Jewish persecution was just an unpleasant aspect that it was probably better to ignore. We're not talking about someone who thinks that actually, given all the antisemitism, the Nazis had turned out to be a bad thing, but better keep quiet of of fear.

Such a person (the true but uncomfortable believer) is a long way past what I'd regard as the pale - they may be like me in terms of the belief-motivated party loyalty, but I think that underlying belief is what makes us recoil from such a case.

Back to the case at hand and your last point: it's not as if my silence on whatever point has any consequences. The anti-Labour parts of the blogosphere are far bigger and louder than the pro-Labour; there's no danger of anything going unnoticed because I don't mention it.

The only risk is that while a reader may or may not agree with any of my individual posts, they're likely to think that my overall blogging is pretty skewed in focus. And they'd be right. And I'm OK with that.