Friday, September 05, 2008

Personal development review

I don’t mind the fact that, well over 200 times a year, I have to get up, go somewhere I don’t want to be and do things I don’t want to do for several hours at a stretch just in order to feed myself. Well, I do mind, but rather I’m not complaining about that: I don’t think the world owes me a living.

What I really mind is that I have to pretend to buy into the ideology of personal development, requiring me to act as though this predicament is something I actually want and that I’m brimming with bright ideas as to how I can immerse myself in it all the more. And, of course, there’s the associated paperwork that this dogma insists is for my own benefit.

Just let me do my job. I’m good at it. If they disagree, they can sack me.

No comments: