Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fair and balanced thanks

In light of Chris’s timely celebration of Americana – in which he rightly praises US television – a contrast occurs to me. Now and again you hear people (I’m particularly thinking middle-class liberal Brits) ponder along these lines:

Say what you like about America, but a country that produces The Simpsons can’t be all that bad.

But you never hear this:

Say what you like about Fox, but a vast media empire that produces The Simpsons can’t be all that bad.

So, on this day of thanksgiving, I heartily declare: God bless Springfield! God bless America! And God bless Fox!

5 comments:

Matt M said...

They canceled 'Firefly'. And 'Drive'. And 'Brimstone'. And 'Profit'. And a wealth of other TV shows that 99% of people have never heard of but I really liked.

Bastards.

Tom Freeman said...

I've never heard of any of those!

Matt M said...

Blame Fox.

Paul E. said...

Neo-con.

Tom Freeman said...

Don't you call me a neo-con or I'll bomb you until you're free.